My Photo
Name:
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

A simple and down-to-earth kind of girl who enjoys listening to people talk about anything under the sun and savours every moment of her student life!

Chat and Comments

Music


Powered by Blogger
Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]
 

My Groovy Life!

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Seeking Solitude

A month an a half back home seemed to pass in the blink of an eye! I had a wonderful time just catching up with friends and family. Haven’t been away from home for such a long time before actually, but it was great to be back and to be reminded of my home country again….not forgetting the food haha!

Returning to Aussie meant that I had to adapt myself to the quietness again. But it’s different this time as I am more or less certain of what I’ll be doing and have friends to look for! Unlike my first arrival where I had no friends, no church, haven’t even seen my room or flatmates……everything was fresh to me then. Looking back, it was amazing how I got through that stage….but through it all I know that God was guiding me and I thoroughly enjoyed my 2006.

One of the things that I truly enjoyed in Aussie was being able to do things that I liked, at my own pace without having to rush through the traffic or being immune to noisy surroundings. I get to go to the library, borrow books, read them by the beach, at the park, and just enjoy the peace and nature. I have ample time to seek God, read His words and be refreshed each day.

As I was reading one day, this was something that struck me…..something that I’ve not really thought of….

Loneliness vs Solitude. Loneliness comes when we are forced to be alone; solitude is a voluntary withdrawal from other people. Loneliness sweeps over us and hangs on in spite of our best efforts to cast it off; solitude can be started and terminated at will. Loneliness is painful, draining and unpleasant; solitude can be refreshing, rejuvenating, and enjoyable.

I recalled last year, there was a time when I felt most alone….or rather I chose to be alone was when I decided to travel on my own up to Sunshine Coast to visit a friend. I was trying to be adventurous and actually wandered on my own for the 1st time for about the whole day as I had to wait for my friend to pick me up only after work. So, meanwhile I stopped at different places along the Coast and this BIG Pineapple plantation. Boy, that was the quietest 2 hours there I had all alone!!!! But it was then when I spent the whole 2 hours just reflecting and talking to God.

These are some moments of solitude that a found refreshing….. “There’s no greater joy Lord, than being with You.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home