My Photo
Name:
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

A simple and down-to-earth kind of girl who enjoys listening to people talk about anything under the sun and savours every moment of her student life!

Chat and Comments

Music


Powered by Blogger
Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]
 

My Groovy Life!

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Precious Moments....my boy & I

Working in pediatric oncology for the past few months has been such a privilege for me. Children, no matter how sick they are, bring so much joy. Precious moments I had with this particular 7 year old boy that I have been seeing need to be recorded as I only have a limited time to spend with him. My boy was in isolation in the bone marrow transplant unit when I saw him. I am referring him as "my boy" because he is one that I've been having music therapy sessions with, since the beginning of his treatment till today.

I have always seen my boy as a chatty, cute, adorable, loving & charming little boy, who likes motorcycles, animals....dogs in particular, adolescent songs and especially love songs.....yes, my 7-year-old loves Love Songs.....ahem....Over the past few weeks, we have gotten very much acquainted as I see him twice a week. However, each session, instead of the usual half hour can drag on for hours.....but due to his isolation, I have to get out within an hour:(

During the session, he would sing along, play instruments, joked, talked about his favourite animals, and his family members would often join in if they were around. I was often told by medical staff and his family members that he would look forward to his music therapy sessions each week....and it felt like years for him before I return the following week. His dad said that he would ask for me everyday!

We had a lot of fun and I allowed him to express himself through song parody, instrument playing, and offering him lots of choice and control....this was to break social isolation, encourage normality in hospital setting, for distraction and to build self-esteem. Afterall, that's what music therapy is about for kids like him. There were times when I continued my session as the medical staff attended to him, calmed him down when he was nauseous, and at other times included his family members for a time of bonding.

Just a few days ago, his dad got him a mini guitar as he had been pestering his dad for one eversince he started music therapy sessions. He was so eager to show it to me, strummed along as I played and I taught him a couple tricks. He has taken so much interest in that instrument that he would ask me to play along with him as he performed to staff that were present.....including the cleaner!

Saying goodbye at the end of each session was tough! I would often end with a slow love song for him as he would often request for one last song before I go. There were times when he would pretend to wipe tears off his eyes and said, "that made my eyes water", asked really serious questions concerning the music, or other issues that popped up to his mind....really mature for a 7-year-old.

Today, he was really serious and asked me, "do your kids ask you to play and sing to them?" and my response was, "yeah, other kids do ask me that". Then, he asked again with a really innocent look, "No, I mean your kids?" I couldn't help but laughed and said, "I don't have kids of my own! I'm not married!" His dad, with a cheeky grin said, "I know what you're thinking off..." and my boy said, "I really love you.....but I think I will have to find someone my age...." Then, he shook my hand and gave me a BIG HUG!!!!! At that moment, I was really lost for words.....and the volunteer and his dad who happened to be there could only respond with...."Awwwww....." My boy always make my day....and that's why I choose to see him in the morning!

2 Comments:

  • At 12:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    aww...how sweet. he sounds cute. haha. any pics?? how is he now??

    tzeyuen

     
  • At 9:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    wow.. i'm impressed... guess this really encouraged you right Cheryl? you're GOOD!! having someone to say like that especially for a kid isn't something everyone gets.. =), really happy for you!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home