My Photo
Name:
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

A simple and down-to-earth kind of girl who enjoys listening to people talk about anything under the sun and savours every moment of her student life!

Chat and Comments

Previous Posts

Music


Powered by Blogger
Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]
 

My Groovy Life!

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Why Music Therapy?

This is the question that I've been asked and will be asked over and over again. Well, I grew up in a family where music is so much part of my life.....my family members (mum's side) love music, right from my grandma, grandpa, uncles, aunties, cousins, parents, (sister ?), nephews & nieces.

When I was younger, my relatives would sing during family gatherings and my eldest cousin would rope in all the other cousins to take part in this 'family musical'. I being the youngest then, among all my cousins, would just be the 'copy cat' and immitate the dance steps or whatever my older cousins did. yeah....was very cute then, maybe around 4 years old ....haha! My grandpa would sing his favourite hymn, "Freely, Freely You Have Received" & "Amazing Grace" whenever and wherever he liked. Of course, my other relatives would have their favourites too and would call out the song and sing....like a song request and karaoke session....haha!

Then, there would be the "highlight" of the day when my relatives start calling out my cousins to give their solo recitals. So, I had a cousin who was known for his "snake dance", a cousin who was a "famous wedding singer", a cousin who conducted musicals, cousins who played the violin, cello, an uncle who played the accordion, and another cousin famous for her "Richard Clayderman style" (because her mum loved it!).

And now as I look back......that may be my first ever music therapy encounter without me even realizing it! In fact, among the aims of music therapy are to encourage interaction, encourage social skills, and build self esteem. Music is widely used as a means of communication.

Another early encounter with music therapy I had, was probably the time when my maid hummed "Amazing Grace" as a lullaby to put my baby sister to sleep.....haha...wonder if my sister remembers.....Lullabies do have an impact in the physiological aspects (oxygen saturation level, pulse, breathing patterns) of infants because of their simple melodies, steady & moderate tempo (similar to their mother's heartbeat). Lullabies give infants a sense of security and are used with neonates in music therapy to help manage their physiological aspects without the use of medication.

So, with this musical upbringing and my exposure to church music, I have always wanted to do music! Taking music as a career to teach/perform is one thing, and doing music as therapy is another.....However, after much prayer, support and encouragement from my parents, I have decided that indeed, music therapy is what I would like to be doing. The fact that it is almost unheard of back home, is the very fact that pushes me forward to want to learn more.

Music is a universal language that must be shared by all for the benefit of all people, nations and cultures. Music therapy is not as alien as you think it is. It was used in the Bible:

1 Samuel 16:23
Whenever the spirit from God came upon Saul, David would take his harp and play. Then relief would come to Saul; he would feel better, and the evil spirit would leave him.

I believe that God each of us gifts and talents to glorify him. And as for me, I hope that the gift of music that He has blessed me with will be used for His glory!

2 Comments:

  • At 12:06 AM , Blogger Kuan Cheen said...

    amen!

    hehe .. two things we learn ...

    1. cheryl mom's can sing
    2. her maid also can sing!

     
  • At 12:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Whoa!! MUSIC THERAPY!! Hehehe..
    Now that I know why..I think it's a really really honorable thing to pursue wey!! =P
    Hope you enjoy it..Love it..And do wonderful in it. (I know you will!) =)
    Miss you lots ler.. Hehehe!!
    Come back and therapy me someday soon too yeah. Hahaha!! Therapy in failing music all the time. Haha!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home